When Apple brought out the iPod, I am sure not even they guessed just how popular their little gizmo would become, but these gadgets are everywhere these days!
Aside from listening to music though, what can you use your iPod for? Here are just a few ideas for you:
1. Hand held game console. They may not be much, but the iPod nano DOES come out with four games, that will keep you busy in a pinch!
2. Storing and displaying photos. As an alternative to lugging piles of pictures around in your wallet, the iPod is great. While you may not have fantastic resolution, and the screen is a little on the small side, it does make a serviceable wallet replacement!
3. There is also a built in stopwatch, which allows you to record multiple lap times, when running, including the date and time.
Sync your iPod with your PC to map out your next work out with trailrunner.
4. The iPod can also be used to run Trailrunner, allowing access to maps, time goals, distances and directions.
5. Use your iPod as a digital voice recorder when attending lectures or meetings, and save time on note taking!
6. Storing and transferring large files is another great way to use your iPod.
7. Use your iPod as an alternative to a pocket dictionary. Navigate using the click wheel.
8. You can create, view and store e-books on your iPod, using the notes feature.
9. Use the calendar, clock and contacts features to stay up to date and in contact.
10. Using products like Text2Go, you can download text from the web, convert to audio, and listen to documents on the move!
11. Since newer iPods can store and playback MP4 files, you can use your iPod to store and view movies and TV shows.
12. Pod casting is another popular use. It is like having your own radio station, in the palm of your hand! Share your favorite music, talk about your views, or anything else that takes your fancy, and then share it with thousands on the web! Fame at last!
13. Alternatively, listen to pod casts on your iPod, many institutions, for example, the Smithsonian, offer educational pod casts, or you can just listen to your favorite Pod jocks!
14. Use your iPod and a computer or docking station for music at your next party. iPods work with a variety of other devices –
Stay connected to your friends using meebo for the iPod, even some car stereo’s, so you can connect and play your favorite tunes almost anywhere!
15. Install Linux, and run Doom! Yup, you can install a specially developed version of the open source operating system on your iPod, and run a playable version of that classic – Doom!
16. A bit of a silly one, but an iPod can be used as a torch if you’re really stuck without light – the screen lights up just enough to give adequate light in an emergency!
17. If you are a student, then an iPod is an invaluable aid. Study guides in iPod compatible formats abound on the net.
18. Get subway maps in the palm of your hand! iSubwaymaps is a platform developed for the iPod that lets users download, view and store maps to subway systems in all major cities around the globe.
19. Calculate tips. Yup, if you are mathematically challenged, you can easily calculate how much you should be tipping your waiter, using an application called TipKalc.
20. Learning foreign languages with an iPod is easy, and you can study on the go – great for today’s busy lifestyle!
21. With a nifty little software package called “the Griffin Total Remote package” your iPod can become a universal remote. Basically the program allows you to record the sound that your IR remote makes as songs, and then converts them back to IR for use. Very cool!
22. If you have an iPod touch, you can download an app called snes4iphone, which acts as an emulator for Nintendo games from the nineties. Retro.
23. Download, transfer, and even access your Macbook from your iPod touch. Anywhere in the world. Global access – brilliant!
24. It is also possible to chat using meebo with your iPod touch.
25. The last item, but not the least, is to download and store your favorite YouTube videos and clips to your iPod.
So there you have it, a whole lot of reasons, besides listening to music, to own an iPod. And with the rate that people around the world are coming up with new ideas for this gizmo, it will not be long until there are many more added to this list!